Mallen's Monday Memo February 1, 2016


Monday Memo

February 1, 2016

 

 

Dear Parents,

 

I hope everyone had a great weekend! Well, our day off last week put us behind so we will be playing some catch up this week. I have a couple of reminders. We dismiss early on Wednesday at 1:00 for our inservice. I would also like to invite you to the KC Spelling Bee that will be held this Friday at Jacobson at 4:00. It is always a fun event for the kids and I encourage them to come and try out their spelling skills. I have given them permission slips and practice spelling lists. They will need to either bring those permission slips to me or they can bring them with them to the event. I look forward to lots of participants!!

 

Our story this week for our problem solvers unit is entitled “The Last Dragon”. It is the story of a boy who is visiting Chinatown with his aunt. While there, he sees an old dragon costume in a window. The story is about how he finds people to help him bring this dragon back to its former glory. We will be working on the following skills this week:  Comprehension, Vocabulary, Story Structure and the use of context clues. The grammar skills are over adjectives this week. My plan is to be testing over last week’s words today and then the pre-test for spelling this week’s words will be tomorrow. The test will then be next Monday. Weather depending…

 

I gave the students their new book Misty of Chincoteague. They are to read a chapter each night and I read the next chapter the following day. For some, this is a more challenging book. I appreciate your willingness to read with your child a chapter a  night, if needed.

 

We are studying volcanoes and earthquakes this week in Science. Ask your child to name the layers of the earth.

We are also reading a few stories about earthquakes and volcanoes.

 

For Math, we are continuing on our multiplication problem solving with area and perimeter. Have your children keep working on their facts so that they are memorized. That will help them enormously with this problem solving unit. We keep working on our daily reviews and our daily multiplication practice.

 

As always, please feel free to call me with any questions/concerns!

 

Have a great week!

Chris Mallen

Phone:  Home:  444-3093   School:  444-4300 Ext. 336

Email:  chris.mallen@bkcsd.org

0 comments:

Post a Comment